Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

What You Have the Courage to Ask For


It's been an amazing summer so far, with a trip to the Salzburg mountains and so many sweet, simple moments with my son. We've had a wonderful mix of rain and heat, and the woods are already sprouting mushrooms that normally don't start appearing until July. Lately I've been experiencing instances where I am doing some little task, and find myself feeling just fine, which is a foreign sensation since my Mom died. I still have overwhelming waves of grief wash over me and shake my entire being. But more and more often, I have those realiziations that I am OK, things are good. Things would be better, and different, if I still had my Mom to talk to, and hug, and make new memories with. But this is how things are. It's time to start being OK.

Things have certainly changed quite a bit since I last wrote. At some point early this year, we came to the acceptance that Rafael will be an only child. After long, frustrating periods of trying to conceive, where each month of disappointment slowly poisons your relationship and eats away at your gratitude and joy, we decided stop mourning the absence of a second child and to instead celebrate having our healthy, lovely son. We let go of our picture of how our family would be. And we let go of the notion that we would only be whole and happy if Rafael had a sibling and we had a second child. I got rid of almost all of the baby stuff I had stored, and it was very freeing. We still have times where that longing comes back, and who knows, maybe it will never go away entirely. But the pressure and frustration are gone. They have been replaced by gratitude for my son that gives me butterflies in my stomach when I think about it! It is truly fanstastic having an only child. I would describe it as relaxed, and intimate. 

This realization presented a step that I thought would come much later. I thought I would be a stay-at-home-mom for many years to come, since I expected to have more than one child. But now I was the mother of a four and a half year old who spent the majority of his days in preschool, where his friends were, where he socialized, learned, and played. My work as a mother felt less and less like work, and was evolving into a deep, loving relationship. This is such a wonderful step, but it also became clear that he did not need me like he used to, and that it was time for me to find a job. 

For about a week, I fell into a depressed state. I had no idea what I should do. I am in my mid-thirties, and my life looked different than I thought it would. So what would the new picture be? I began beating myself up. Why hadn't I found what I want to do yet? Why had everything I had tried so far failed? I knew I didn't want to be self-employed, but I also didn't want to sit at a cashier or wait tables. There are so many creative things I love, but I didn't want to be a struggling artist. I wanted a stable job where I could be creative, where I wouldn't get bored. Something I would want to do for at least the next 30 years of my life.

But what could that be?

So there I was, feeling sorry for myself, when I started thinking about how I feel every time I bring Rafael to preschool, and pick him up. How I feel when his preschool puts on a little play, or celebrates Christmas. How I feel when he brings something home that he crafted, or tells me excitedly about something new he learned there. How I feel when I spend some time in his preschool group, sitting on a tiny chair, watching the children build with blocks or eat their crackers, surrounded by children's voices. What feelings did I get? Happiness. Comfort. Wonder. Fun. I pictured myself in a classroom with children, and immediately felt my heart jump. And suddenly I thought, "I wonder how someone goes about becoming a preschool teacher?" I began researching on the internet, and quickly found out that there was an open-door event taking place just a few days later at the near-by school where you could earn your teaching credentials.

After that open-door day, I knew this was the right thing. There were all sorts of beaurocratic hurdles for me as an ex-pat, but my will to make it happen had me ticking off those tasks one by one, springing over obstacles and heading in the right direction in a driven manner I had never experienced. I passed the qualifying exam with flying colors and am signed up to begin my two-and-a-half year education this September!

Oprah once said, "You get in life what you have the courage to ask for." I am learning to be outrageous and courageous with the things I ask for. I don't want mediocrity, and I don't want my life and creativity to be wasted. I am asking for a life well-lived, full of meaning for my fellow mankind. I am asking for a job that I love. I am asking for a job that is much more significant than a paycheck. A career that feels tailormade, where I learn easily because I am interested in what I am learning. Where my strengths shine, and my weaknesses are just tiny bumps in the road. It takes courage to ask for those things, to ask for your life to be something special.

Needless to say I am full of anticipation and have a whole new reason to look forward to Fall this year. I wonder if you all would be interested in following my journey to becoming a preschool teacher?

xoxoxo Thank you for sticking around and always welcoming me back!

43 comments:

  1. I know I'm not alone in saying that I'm totally thrilled by your new path, dear Dawn...and I'll be with you every step! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tossing confetti in the air! Yay Rachel! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Yay! So good to see a post from you, and I am thrilled that you are pursuing something you love. It sounds like the perfect fit for you.

    Raquel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Raquel, I hope you are right!

      Delete
  3. Congratulation Dawn !!! so exited and happy for u Looking forward to reading and following you in this new chapter in your life. Have a wonderful day love seeing your pictures you and Raffy look radiant .

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good to see a post from you. Many blessings on the three of you as you start this new journey in your life.

    Raffy sure has grown and I know he is such a joy to you.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to know all is well with you. I was a preschool teacher for several years and enjoyed it so!
    I planned many activities that were fun and also helped with learning. In fact, I had created a large 6 inch binder filled these activities. I am a firm believer in art, crafts and music to give a variety of learning experiences. Wonderful times! You will so enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fantastic! I have never been so excited about learning something new, and what it will mean I can give.

      Delete
  6. I too started as a pre-school teacher, finished my college degree in my 40's and became a school teacher. We too had only one child and though it was particularly planned that way it worked out well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You tend to hear negative things about only-children but my experience has been only positive. Thanks for your note!

      Delete
  7. You are on the right path.....and quite frankly, there is no 'wrong path.' All paths lead to new learning, new choices, and new experiences.
    May you be blessed with joy, peace, love, and harmony.

    Your Mom would be SO HAPPY to have you filled with JOY!!!!!!!!!!!!

    XOXO Joann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! You are right! Thank you for the love and support Joann!

      Delete
  8. Wonderful to read this post and see you back online! I think your decision is a wise one. Best of luck to you as you make your way toward this goal!
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I miss your posts and your pictures. I think you struggle with many of the things us "normal" women have struggled with for decades. Where do I fit in this big old world? So many seasons in our life and each one with different needs and wants. I'm glad to hear that your heart is starting to mend somewhat over the loss of your mother. There is never complete healing, always scars left but it's somehow part of life. We must go on for the sake of ourselves and others but with scars. Wanting to have more children and not being able to, it is a type of mourning, as you put it. Bless your heart. You are so strong! If I was your mother I would be very proud of you! Be encouraged girl! You are an encouragement to me! Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Dawn, so glad to see you posting again! Congratulations on entering this new chapter of your life! I'm excited to see where it takes you. There are so many out there who will benefit from what you have to give ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Dawn, I often think about you and check your blog. Needless to say, I was thrilled when I just now found your post from June 28. After reading your entries for these past years, I can't help but think that you'll be a natural as a preschool teacher. As a mother, you have always provided Rafael with a stimulating, educational environment. I'm a retired teacher, and I've seen your tenderhearted ways and nurturing instincts. They are such important qualities for a teacher working with young children. I can't wait to read more about your new adventure. I'm so happy for you and I know your mother would be, too. Judyxxx



    ReplyDelete
  12. So lovely to read this update...I stumbled upon it by chance! Sounds like its been a hard time but you are coming through it and moving towards promising things also! :) Big hug xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. How exciting! I am so very happy for you! I've been your follower for years and admire you for being so brave! I would love to know how this new path develops for you, please keep us posted! Have a wonderful rest of the summer! Hugs and sunshine from Mexico!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely, I want to follow along!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so excited to see an update from you! I think that it's wonderful that you're becoming a teacher, and I would happily look forward to reading about your new endeavors. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad to hear that you are back, Dawn!! My niece is an only child (I don't have kids yet) and she thrived. I completely understand letting go of the the tension and longing for more kids, but my betting side thinks that you'll have more. In my experience, it is when couples lest expect it that it happens. Peace brings calm and happiness, the right mix for getting pregnant. Either way, you are beyond blessed with Rafi.

    Congrats on the teaching! I still remember my pre-school teachers. The influence teachers have is immeasurable. You'll do great.

    Elise xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so glad you have a new adventure to embark on. And .. I had hoped, you'd have considered taking your readers along too... but here it is Dec and no word. I wish you much success thp

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Dawn miss your yearly Christmas pictures that you share. I hope u had wonderful holiday.

    MARY

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy New Year! Miss your updates from across the world.:)
    Wishing you and your family all the blessings for 2017.

    Elise

    ReplyDelete
  20. hi Dawn missing your post xoxoxoxox hope all is well

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your blog was so beautiful, personally I liked it. Keep bloggin! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Chose a good company to deal with. Not every MLM company is offering what's right for you. You have to figure out what you want and what you are interested in. When your interests are positive, you increase your chances of success.
    satta king
    play bazaar

    ReplyDelete
  23. Keep abreast of what is happening in your community and plan to attend community events. These are great opportunities to meet and greet others. You are sure to find new customers and new recruits. You can also build a name for yourself in the community and develop a trustworthy public image.
    satta king
    play bazaar

    ReplyDelete
  24. INSTEAD OF GETTING A LOAN,, I GOT SOMETHING NEW
    Get $5,500 USD every day, for six months!

    See how it works
    Do you know you can hack into any Credit cards machine with a hacked Credit cards??
    Make up your mind before applying, straight deal...

    Order for a blank Credit cards now and get millions within a week!: contact us
    via email address:: {Legitblankcardsonline@gmail.com}

    We have specially programmed Credits Cards that can be use to hack Credit cards Machines
    Nation Wide, the Credits Cards can be used to withdraw at any Credits Cards or swipe Machines, at
    Stores and POS Machines. We sell this cards to all our customers and interested
    buyers worldwide, the Credit Card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5,500 at any Credit cards Machines
    and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores depending on the kind of card
    you order for. Credits Cards Can also be used in any other cyber hack{Services}, we are here for you anytime any day.

    Here is our price lists for the Credits Cards:

    Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $250 USD
    Cards that withdraw $10,000 per day costs $850 USD
    Cards that withdraw $35,000 per day costs $2,200 USD
    Cards that withdraw $50,000 per day costs $5,500 USD
    Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $8,500 USD


    make up your mind before applying, straight deal!!!

    The price include shipping fees and charges, order now: contact us via
    email address:: {Legitblankcardsonline@gmail.com} Or
    Add us on Whatsapp [+13473848100]

    ReplyDelete
  25. Whoa. You're quite gorgeous, doll.
    I'd loooove to dance with you at
    the Wedding Feast Upstairs...
    HintHint.
    NudgeNudge.
    PokePoke.
    GBY

    ReplyDelete
  26. Astrologer Gurudev comes from Pandit origin, with his father and ancestors as the main source of information in various fields of astrology. His deep knowledge in every dynamic field of astrology helps and enables Best Psychic in Toronto, to put an end to the small and big struggles in life and separation between men and women, jealousy and curses, family quarrels and conflicts, Manglik Dosh, Alcohol and drug addiction and remove black magic. For more info, you can visit here at Best Psychic in Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  27. You made some nice points there. I looked on the internet for the subject matter and found most individuals will agree with your site. Can you review my blogs and give some tips regarding them.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails