If ever I'm a mother-in-law, I vow to....
1. Be happy for my son because he is happy, even if his 'happy life' looks different than I expected or perhaps secretly hoped for.
2. Respect his choice of partner.
3. Dedicate time, love, and interest to his children, which will mean automatically helping him and his wife have time for themselves.
4. Support him and his wife in the way they raise their children, including methods and choices different from those I made.
5. Keep an open line of communication with his wife, and let her know that she is like a daughter to me.
6. Pay attention to the needs and wants of him and his wife, being there when they need me and giving them space when they need space.
7. Make sure my husband is included in the time we spend with our grandkids.
8. Be careful not to favor any grandchildren, and be sure to spread my time and attention evenly.
9. Only give advice if I am asked for my advice.
10. Only give my opinion when I am asked for my opinion.
Can you guess the things I've been frustrated with lately?