Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Kaiserschmarrn: Traditional Rustic Austrian Pancake


On cold winter days like these, the most satisfying dishes are the traditional ones.

Here in Austria, there is a delicious dessert called 'Kaiserschmarrn,' which translates roughly to 'Emperor's mess.' It's a thick, eggy, fluffy, chopped up pancake sprinkled with powdered sugar. Perfect comfort food for this time of year. I'm calling it a dessert, but really, it's so filling that it is a meal on it's own.

Kaiserschmarrn


3 eggs, separated
3/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup milk
butter for frying
raisins (optional)
powdered sugar

Combine flour, sugar, vanilla, and salt, then add the egg yolks and milk to make a thin batter.

Whisk egg whites until stiff and fold under the batter.

Melt butter in a hot pan and add the batter. (Optional: Sprinkle raisins over.)

When bubbles begin to form throughout the surface, cut the pancake into four pieces with your spatula and flip them over.

Allow these pieces to cook for about a minute before cutting into rough pieces with your spatula. Toss these pieces around until they are lightly browned.

Pile onto serving plates and sprinkle with sifted powdered sugar.

Serve with warm apple sauce or plum compote.




Enjoy!

xoxo

12 comments:

  1. this makes me think to syrniki ricotta little fried pastries coming from Russia, I learned from pinchofcinnamon on twitter, and now they have bocome a sweet comfort food for cold afternoons

    ciao Mada

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that brings back memories! My mother was from southern Germany and her family liked to make Kaiserschmarrn. It was one of my favorite meals - I'll have to make sometime soon... I'm glad you are all doing well!! Hugs, Silke

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so delicious! Ich liebe Kaiserschmarrn :)!

    Your little boy is such a cute little man. Congratulations to his first meal. My youngest hatet eating for such a long time.

    Have a wonderful evening, Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yumm this looks delicious....and would taste so good on a cold winters day like we are having today!

    Blessings,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look forward to trying this recipe.

    Thank you for sharing it.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look amazing:). I bet Raffi is going to love these when he's a bit older:). xox, Blair

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I love to eat dessert for breakfast, so this sounds like it would be perfect for me. And it would go very well with the coffee I'm drinking right now.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so lovely and so you.

    Sending warm hugs across the cold miles,

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm the Kaiserschmarrn looks scrumptious, I think we might have it for brunch tomorrow drizzled with maple syrup and with a side of streaky smoked bacon. Thank you for the idea sweetheart.
    Sending you all lots of love xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been reading your blog & just browsing old posts ( can't sleep! ) and it's so cool to find this! My great grama came to the US from Austria, which is now Italy but st the time he was considered Austrian, anyway, this is one of his family recipes, we call it 'smorm' & serve it with syrup & sugar sprinkled on top! I love it so much!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails