Carrot cakes I have made and eaten in the past have tended to be too heavy for my taste, loaded with raisins, pineapple, nuts, and coconut. One slice and you are full. I wanted to make carrot cupcakes that were simple, moist, and delicately spiced. I used this recipe, substituting melted virgin coconut oil for the vegetable oil, and using my Kitchen Aid mixer instead of a food processor. The result was delicious and exactly what I was hoping for.
I realized too late that I didn't have any cream cheese for the cream cheese frosting which typically goes with carrot cake. But I did have sour cream. I am sure that situations like this one are when some of the best recipes are discovered. At least, I am very pleased with the tangy, sweet frosting which I whipped up with the ingredients I had on hand.
My recipe for Lemon Sour Cream Frosting:
5 Tablespoons soft unsalted butter
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 1/2 Tablespoons Sour Cream
1 1/2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Whip the butter and powdered sugar until combined. While the beaters are still going, add the remaining ingredients. If it's too runny, add more sugar. If it's too stiff, add some more sour cream.
This recipe frosted 16 cupcakes, though I don't pile it on too high. I sprinkled some of them with finely chopped walnuts and topped them all with little flags that I made from toothpicks, craft paper, and glue.
To get the 'rosette' look that I achieved with my frosting, start in the center and circle outwards.
As I mentioned in a previous post, I wasn't able to make anything at the little craft party I held here last Friday, because Rafael was teething badly and needed to be held the whole time (by the way, his second bottom tooth made it's appearance this morning!). So last night, while Rafael was sleeping, I finally managed to make an adorable bunny bunting, which I strung up in his room. The original idea, along with the printable stencil, can be found here. What I did differently was that I folded my craft paper and traced the stencil so that the ears stayed attached at the point where the paper was folded. In this way, I was able to simply hang the bunnies by their ears instead of sewing them to the baker's twine at the body. I find they also have a nice 3D look because of being doubled.
Wishing you all a great start to the week, hopefully with time for baking a crafting!