Pages

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

tender stone fruit cake


A friend came over for lunch on her break today. I made her my potato leek soup , and for dessert, this lovely, tender, simple stone fruit cake. I used organic plums, but as the name states, any stone fruit will do.

Stone Fruit Cake


1/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup yogurt
2 cups chopped stone fruit, such as peaches, nectarines, or plums; stones removed, cut into little pieces
powdered sugar

In large bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla.
Sift or stir together flour, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg; gradually stir in to butter mixture. Fold in yogurt and chopped fruit. (note: the batter will seem very thick, almost like cookie dough; this is how it is supposed to be!) Spoon batter into greased and floured baking pan.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30-40 minutes, or until tester comes out clean. 
Once it has cooled a little, sprinkle with powdered sugar.


I think you'll love it.

xoxo country girl

15 comments:

  1. Mmm looks and sounds delicious Dawn! I love catching up with friends over food :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so delicious I believe I'll bake one for myself!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your friend is blessed to have such a delicious lunch awaiting her. The potato leek soup speaks to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lovely,
    is this the recipe we made while I was there?
    Where did you have plums from?
    I started a food blog:
    http://23monkeytree.wordpress.com/
    New site server and features, new learning...love yomom

    ReplyDelete
  5. ....NICE photos by the way:)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds lush - I love plums in anything! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dawn dear,

    YUMMY. Now it would be perfect if YOU were here!

    Thanks for visiting my Lowe's Garden Grow Along blog too. I am hoping that if they get enough good comments they'll make it a permanent fixture. I just posted a new one.

    Love to you,

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds delish - thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks lovely & delicious! Potato Leek soup is also one of my favorite things! I look forward to reading more of your beautiful blog & gathering lots of yummy recipes! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOh! Looks, sounds & (I'm sure) SMELLS divine! Your lucky friend must have felt she'd landed in lunchtime Heaven!
    I also wanted to let you know, dearest Dawn, that I'm reading your posts but our little laptop has gone 'bang' and this big computer is very temperamental and often freezes when I try & leave comments...AAGH! So if I don't, it's not because I'm not loving everything, I promise!!
    Rachel xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I could come for lunch - next time I'm in Austria sweet friend, I'm coming over!!!! There better be stone fruit cake waiting.
    he hee

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is always such a treat visiting here, I love your thoughtful words and sweet touch with everything.
    Thank you for sharing this recipe, it does look like one my family would love. You inspired me the other day when i walked through our farmers market wondering what to buy. I saw tender leeks and potatoes so i bought those and made a lovely pot of soup.
    xxx lori

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just ADORE all of you.
    I want to give each and every one of you a hug!!!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks delicious! I'll take a piece with coffee! :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails