Pages

Friday, February 5, 2010

apple treasures

 
  
You're gonna LOVE these.
Tender crust drizzled with icing.
Apple-cinnamon filling.
Yum.
 
 
"cut an apple open sideways and discover that the seeds are grown in the pattern of a five pointed star.
imagine that!
a star in every apple."
-amy lyon

Apple Treasures
pockets:
1/4 cup shortening
2 cups all-üurpose flour
2 Tblsp sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup milk
filling:
3/4 cup finely chopped peeled apple
1 Tblsp sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
brush:
1 Tblsp melted margarine
glaze:
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp milk
1/8 tsp vanilla extract

Heat oven to 425°

Grease round pan, 8x1 1/2 inches, or square pan, 8x8x2 inches.
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
Cut shortening into this mixture with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles fine crumbs. 
Stir in milk until dough leaves side of bowl and forms a ball.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; gently roll in flour to coat.
Knead lightly 20 to 25 times. 
Divide dough into 12 equal parts; cover.

Mix apple, sugar, and cinnamon.
Pat each part of the dough into a 3-inch circle on floured surface.
Place 1 rounded teaspoonful of filling in center of each circle.
Bring edges of dough up over apple mixture; pinch and seal well to form a ball.

Arrange balls, seam side down, in pan.
Brush with melted margarine.
Bake 17 to 19 minutes or until golden brown.
Meanwhile, make simple glaze by combining the 3 ingredients in a small bowl until smooth.
Drizzle glaze over warm apple treasures.
Serve warm or let stand to cool.
I keep mine on a cake stand covered with plastic wrap at room temperature.
These never last long enough to find out how long they would keep. 

adapted 'apple-filled coffee cake' from betty crocker's 'best of baking'
   

These smell so lovely while they bake, and aren't too heavy or sweet.
Lovely the next morning as a breakfast snack if there are any left.


Took a walk this afternoon with my friend Dawn (two americans named Dawn living in the same tiny Austrian village, what are the chances?), our dogs bounding ahead of us on the snowy path beside a thawing creek.
We talked about real estate, friendship, age, husbands.
  As we reached an open field the clouds broke to reveal the most breath-taking sunset.
Lemon, pink, spots of blue.
It was almost too overwhelming to take in all at once.
So many beautiful colors after days of monotonous grey.
But....no camera.
So, as I watched the citrus sun sink under the horizon of bare black trees and icy hills, I thought of you all, and wished you had been there with me to witness this display of nature's beauty.
I hoped this sunset was on it's way to you in all it's glory.

xoxo country girl

25 comments:

  1. Oh...I wish I was with you on that walk...looking at that sunset....

    and DAWN ! wow...those little apple treasures look so good....i am making them..here is another weird one..i just took out my Betty Crocker and have it on the drainboard..hmmmmmm

    love what you said on my blog...."love at first sight"...that made me smile, dear one...

    i sent you an email and i wonder if you got it..it was about Bessie....and more....

    Happy Friday to you !

    love you
    kary
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another beautiful post. Wish I was there to see that sunset and the little apple treasures look divine. Happy weekend Dawn and Ramon and of course little sweet Kiki :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. those apple treasures sound divine!! i can almost smell them by just seeing them!

    thank you for sharing that lovely walk with us...how amazing nature can be :)

    have a great weekend!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn--thank so much for sharing your kitchen and your walk with us. You are amazing! Love all you do, I only wish I could write as beautifully as you do!

    Stay warm and enjoy your evening!

    xoxo Gert

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, those look heavenly- just delicious! And your sweet A is for Apple picture- love, heart, swoon!
    Happy weekend to you! xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM. Will definitely be making this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes the camera gets in the way of enjoyment. I think it is a good thing you got to watch the sun set without interruption. You know, I'm quite plump and I know how to cook & bake. Recipes of delicious items are not something I need. But I print them and I make them anyway. Like Black Tie cookies. ~sigh~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! It's so nice to meet you! I love your spirit and you have a beautiful blog. I am enjoying my visit here. Thanks! Have a nice weekend! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how delicious that looks--must add to list of treats to bake!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, these look so good! I can't even look at them, I am so hungry for them its almost making me drool! ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  11. ahh... my daily dose of beauty. those apple treasures look divine, and what a great name. enjoy your weekend sweet dawn, and i will be wishing you the best for your new apartment. the floor plans look unreal! seriously, john and i always judge a place by the amount of light, and looks like you have got that in abundance. very exciting and fun!

    xo
    Organic Spark

    ReplyDelete
  12. oooohhhhhh..... these look so yummy! what a treat for a cold, dark winter's day. have a lovely weekend!!

    xoxo,
    Blair

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those look yummy! I've given you an award because you brighten my day. Come on over and check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks like it would be next to impossible to eat just one!

    Warm wishes,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness. These look AMAZING! I must make them. Tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well I know what I'll be making this weekend. Thanks for the lovely treat.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi,

    I just found your blog and am really enjoying it :) Thank you for sharing such a wonderful recipe, they look divine :)

    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow ... they look so yummy ... I just got a new Kitchenaid ... so I'm baking like a mad lady

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmmmm Dawn! Like mini strudels almost, I can smell & tast them! What a lovely treat...forgot to comment on the new apartment hopes & dreams - everything crossed that you get what you want. It all looks so beautiful! Have a great weekend xox Rachel ps that is so bizarre about 2 american Dawn's...must be REALLY rare to have such a coincidence! x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think your sunset did make it here afterall! i was on a walk this late afternoon also, and without a camera (there was a break in the rain and i didn't want to chance it) as soon as i got to the beach there was the most gorgeous sunset i've seen in awhile! I missed my camera for a moment and then spent the rest of the time enjoying the show.
    those little apple treats are as pretty as i am sure they are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. mmm what a great Sunday afternoon treat, we are really enjoying them with tea. Thanks for the recipe. x

    ReplyDelete
  22. these look and sound delicious! thank you for sharing your beautiful sunset with all of us via your memory vs. a lens.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails