Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Looking for a New Nest

We love our current home; surrounded by nature, lots of character with it's white brick walls, beautiful wooden floors, very sunny. But we are looking for a new place. A place with an elevator; more storage space; a bigger bathroom; larger terrace; in a location where my husband can walk to and from work like he used to; and I've always wanted a laundry room where you can also store things like the vaccuum cleaner and maybe even bedding. In other words, we live in a beautiful place, but it's not the most practical one. 
Here, when you want a new home, your first stop is not the realtor but the mayor. So that's what we did last summer. And luckily, there are new apartments being built in the perfect location for us. Up until now we have been wondering what the apartments were going to look like, and hoping to be the first to put our names down for one.
Yesterday we were finally able to go see the plans, and picked out what will hopefully be ours before this Christmas. When I saw the floor plans my heart was pumping and I knew, this is where I want to live!!
It's the two top floors (what's called a 'maisonette' here); to the back and the right you see a creek and woods (woods that are breathtaking in autumn....I'm already day dreaming of looking out the kitchen window onto those trees!)
I thought I would share the floor plans with you all...in case you're curious. I know I always love seeing floor plans (is that strange?) I've translated the names of the rooms for my english-speaking friends.
Click to enlarge.

First  Floor 


Top Floor


I was so happy to see that the kitchen is open and connected with the living/dining room. I know it's common in America, but here it's a trend that is just now catching on. We have that set-up in our current apartment and I would hate going back to a separate, small kitchen.
I was also really happy to see the laundry room and the mudroom, where I can store all the shoes and winter garments! (Again, am I strange for being excited about those?)
I love that there is a balcony off of the kitchen/living room...I can already imagine eating breakfast and even dinner there in the warmer seasons. And that terrace....
What I also love is that it feels very private. On two of the three open sides you are surrounded by the creek and the trees. Bird song and running water. Lovely.
Also included is a piece of cellar space, wonderful for storing Christmas decorations, etc.
I just now got the price, which we were sweating about, wondering if we would be able to afford it...but it looks as though we may be able to swing it. I am trying very, very hard not to get excited about it. But.........WOOHOO! 
Keep your fingers crossed that we will be able to call this home within the year!

For anyone else who has a a strange adoration for laundry rooms and mudrooms:

 
 
 
  
 

Hope you are all enjoying the week. 
Thanking you all for the sweet comments you leave me...they always make my day.

xoxo country girl

18 comments:

  1. Oh, wow, that looks amazing!! And so much space - looking out onto nature. I can already feel that this is yours! You are dreaming it into reality... Love it! Hugs, Silke

    ReplyDelete
  2. The apartment looks very spacious. I like my house, but I fault it for not having a mudroom. We walk right into the kitchen. I do suffer from mudroom envy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is definitely you: nature all around and lots of 'home-making' areas. I looooove laundry rooms; we don't have them here but actually, when I dream of my ideal house (yes, house; I'm fed up with flats) it's a simple 3-bedroom house with a laundry room.
    Hope it becomes yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I think you are like me, love storage and organization!! Whoo-hoo! Now, I'm excited about your new place too! It sounds lovely with the creek, woods and all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great post! I love looking at houses! when I was younger, living at home and my family was looking to move, my mom took me with her to sooo many open houses. I love seeing how every house is different, and where I live there are a lot of old houses which are so neat! We are looking to move now (it is so hard though with 2 dogs to find a rental with enough space), and I love looking at the potential places!

    ...BrittanButterfly...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Dawn..well this was right up my alley..

    John is a builder/realtor for Coldwell Banker here in California.And I have a real estate brokers license....did real estate decades ago..i have always loved houses of all kinds..love seeing how people live and what their lives are like..you can tell alot about people by what's in their kitchen..LOVE looking in pantrys...that really says it all....

    your new nest looks wonderful...love it..the best part is the creek and trees..what a winner that is....

    and I LOVE my laundry room...it's tiny...not that big, but it is white beadboard, and a little old blue painted shelf for all the goodies...i just love having laundry inside the house...not in the garage or a seperate room outside..cause i LOVE to start laundry late in the day and i love to hear it and smell the soap....love it on a dark and rainy day..makes a house feel so cozy....

    all wonderful here....

    my fingers are crossed....whatever happens..i told john...i have loved every house i have lived in...

    more tomorrow. my friend
    sending love,
    kary
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, by far. I used to draw house plans for hours when I was little and all my friends were coloring hillsides and houses. I even had books of house plans that I would go through for fun around age 12.

    Soooo... thanks for sharing the plans! Hope you get your dream apartment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and entering the book giveaway. Yes, I read all my comments (I have them emailed to me).

    The plans for that apartment look wonderful! It looks so spacious. I really wish I had a dedicated laundry room. My washer and dryer are in my garage.

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seeing as you have so much lovely space, can I come and live with you please?

    Thanku, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. O it looks so good. Lovely news!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks lovely Dawn, I have my fingers and toes crossed for you and Ramon! We have a laundry room and it is wonderful so I just know you will love yours too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that you will have a creek and forest surrounding you. And the balcony, oh the balcony! I can just picture you, your hubby and Kiki enjoying a lovely meal out there. xox

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow I love the whole thing..the layout, the balcony, forrest and creek. I can just see Kiki romping around through them! Laundry room, mud room--Oh yes everyone should have those!!! Thank you so much for sharing all this great news with us!
    xoxo Gert

    ReplyDelete
  14. The plans are lovely and I do hope they come true for you. I've always loved laundry rooms also, and even all the chores that go with it. something so satisfying and soothing about clean laundry, folding and ironing.
    meditative even. I loved your pink post also, Happy early birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love that floor plan - so neat and cozy.

    and what i wouldn't give for a nice laundry room.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh dear, I beleive I've broken a Commandment and I'm coveting...no,wait...it's still a floor plan. It looks like it will be wonderful!A place for everything and everything in its place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so excited for you, and, I have to admit, I'm excited that we'll get to read and watch along as your dream becomes reality. It looks and sounds like a wonderful home!

    I, too, love, love, love laundry rooms and everything that has to do with laundry. I find few things more comforting than the sound of a dryer running. Does that sound crazy? We recently bought a brand new washer and dryer, and I have to admit that I often do laundry just before bedtime so that I'll hear the sound of the dryer off in the other room. It lulls us to sleep!

    Congratulations, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks and sounds lovely - how lucky you are - I do all hope it comes into be! I'm sure you will make it a wonderful home - full of love and beauty and laughter xxx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails