Pages

Friday, July 10, 2009

God Bless Organic Farmers!

Here it is, the awesome organic goods from my local Farmer's Market: raw milk from grass-fed cows, flowers from the friendly American florist, apricots, Summer apples, and eggs. I can't express how totally grateful I am that they set up their stands every Friday.

Can you even belive how amazingly adorable these tiny apples are?! I got so excited when I saw them, and asked what sort they are. The farmer replied, "Oh, those are Summer apples. Go ahead and try one. They don't grow any bigger than that." I bit into one; it was crisp, tart, and juicy, with white flesh and itty-bitty pale seeds. I am still totally fascinated! I definitely want to paint them.

Was overjoyed to see the sunflowers, echinacea, and black eyed susans. I love buying from the American; we speak English and converse about family, farming, flowers...and he always gives me a good deal.

Does anyone else here love speckled eggs? There is something so charming about them. And it's an added bonus if there are bits of downy feathers stuck to them, like the one top right. Fresh from the chicken's warm nest! It would be a dream come true for me to have different types of chickens who lay a variety of colours. Can you imagine? A basket of brown, white, green, speckled, and blue eggs? I'd end up writing a poetry book just about eggs!

5 comments:

  1. Ahhh....You've practically written poetry here! Beautiful words.....beautiful pictures! How lovely that you are in Austria...beautiful country! found your blog on Scattering Lupines, and I am ever so glad:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes me feel so good looking and reading, it must make you feel fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome Mug! So nice of you to stop by, thank you for your lovely comment, it's very much appreciated :)
    Joy, this blog is so much fun, and it's great to hear that you enjoy visiting!
    Everything is delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such bounty and what a beautiful heart you have to photograph and write about nature's gifts and the farmer's efforts.

    What can you make with those little apples?
    Maybe fry them up in coconut oil, like apple fritters, with raw organic cinnamon cream?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live in Austria too, but I'm still looking for an organic farmers market in the near. Your bounty looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails